The Woodlot Management Handbook - Making the most of your wooded property for conservation, income and both.
$26.00 was $38.99
This item may be out of season or currently out of stock. Please check back.
Author: Stewart Hilts and Peter Mitchell
Publisher: Firefly Books
Page Count: 314
List Price: $38.99
How to get the most out of a parcel of land by growing trees for timber, selling firewood and preserving land for future generations.
A private woodlot may range from 5 to 500 acres, and they are extremely common.
Hilts and Mitchell's book is a personal "get out and walk your woods" plan. The authors answer landowners' most common questions on:
- Basic conservation
- Nature appreciation
- Recreational use
- Moderate forestry
- Timber management
- Assessing your own woodland
- Identifying trees
- Specific techniques for maintaining wildlife habitat, such as snags, logs, den trees and bush piles.
There is also extensive information on landscape ecology, natural succession and hardwood plantings. In this expanded and updated second edition, the changing views and values of woodlots are explored, covering topics such as:
- Woodlots in the broader landscape
- Moving to ecological restoration
- Managing conifer plantations
- Watching for endangered species
- Dealing with invasive insects and plants.
The Woodlot Management Handbook is the definitive book on this important topic.
Sorry, this item is for local pick-up only.