The Edible Ecosystem Solution
Online ordering for this item will be back shortly. Please check back.
Featured on The Grow Guide Podcast (December 3, 2020: Growing Biodiversity in Your Backyard with Zach Loeks)
Author: Zach Loeks
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Page Count: 288
Humans have always thrived in rich, diverse, edible ecosystems. Yet most cities and suburbs are blanketed by lawns, ornamentals, and a lack of biodiversity, let alone anything edible. It is within these sterile landscapes that seeds of an edible ecosystem lie.
The Edible Ecosystem Solution is a comprehensive, practical guidebook that looks at underutilized spaces to reveal the many opportunities for landscape transformation that are both far-reaching and immediately beneficial and enjoyable. Contents include:
- Hundreds of full-colour infographics, illustrations, and photographs that clearly outline the principles and concepts of edible landscape design and benefits
- How to get started with as little as 25 square feet of land
- How to transition a garden plot into a place of edible abundance and an edible biodiversity hot spot, living laboratory, and a source point for transitioning and transforming community and culture
- Choosing appropriate plants for insects, wildlife, and food production
- Scaling up and networking backyard edible ecosystems at the neighbourhood level and beyond to build community food security and resilience.
The Edible Ecosystem Solution is for everyone with access to a bit of yard, a desire for food security, biodiversity, and a beautiful and resilient community, and for anyone who wants to reclaim humanity's place in a rich, abundant, edible ecosystem.
Zach Loeks is an award-winning educator, designer, author, consultant, and grower who specializes in Edible Ecosystem Design around the world. He is the director of the Ecosystem Solution Institute and author of The Permaculture Market Garden. He lives in Cobden, Ontario.