Winter Greens Seeds - Tat Soi OG (SGH)
This item may be out of season or currently out of stock. Please check back.
Pack Size: 2g (~ 1000) seeds. Grow up to 4 11 x 11" trays from each pack.
Description: Organic seeds for growing baby greens indoors through winter. This is a superb choice for indoor greens. Tat Soi produces nutrition-packed, spoon-shaped leaves.
Easy steps for growing Red Garnet Mustard greens indoors through winter:
- Tat Soi grows most productively under full spectrum (6400K) grow lights. We recommend Sunblaster T5 lighting. Grow lights should be maintained 6 - 12” above plant tops and should be on 16 - 18 hours per day.
- During the months where daylight-hours are low mustards can be grown in a very sunny window but productivity and colour are dramatically improved with supplemental lighting.
- Tat Soi greens grow very well in shallow containers with drainage. We often use 11 x 11” or 10 x 20” trays. Other ideas include recycled clam shells from store-bought greens or recycled flower pots.
- For completely easy baby greens use a composty soil. We use an organic potting mix blended with Sea Soil compost at a 60 / 40 ratio. By building in high-quality compost you can avoid any need for additional fertilizing.
- Tat Soi takes 5 - 7 days to germinate. The ideal temperature for germination is 18 - 21º C; bottom heat will speed up germination and encourage faster seedling development.
- Wet your soil medium before sowing then sprinkle seeds onto soil surface at approximately 250 seeds per 11 x 11” tray. Press seeds gently into soil surface and spritz (or carefully water) to fully moisten.
- Check on seeds every few days to notice when they are starting to germinate. Maintain soil moisture without allowing the mix to be soggy.
- TatSoi will grow as a baby green for approximately ten weeks before a new crop needs to take over. Sow new trays every month to keep a constant supply.
- Great air circulation around your indoor garden makes everything better! If you are growing lots of plants indoors consider adding a small fan to your set-up.
- If using humidity domes over your trays: be sure to leave these off for at least one hour per day to allow for air circulation.
- Pests rarely occur on baby greens but it is a good idea to clean pots/trays with warm soapy water (or 10% bleach solution) between crops and generally keep your growing area tidy.
- Crops that are grown to larger than baby green size will likely require fertilizing for best productivity; we recommend Evolve Organic All-Purpose Fertilizer for our indoor gardens.
- Harvest leafy greens by up to 50% with each cut.
- Use sharp scissors to cut your greens - this helps plants regrow more quickly after harvest.
- The beauty of growing your own baby greens is that you can harvest just what you need when you need it!