Organic Beet, Early Wonder - 5g
Online ordering for this item will be back shortly. Please check back.
Pack Size: 5g (~290 seeds). Grow up to three 11 x 11" trays from each pack.
Description: Organic seeds for growing baby greens indoors through winter. 'Early Wonder' is a variety that can be grown for both the tasty "beets" as well as delicious leafy tops... although indoors beets are most often grown for the tops rather than fully developed bottoms.
'Early Wonder' greens are high in vitamin A and C, and taste incredible in a salad. Roots are perfect for all manner of preparation - cooking, baking, pickling and more. Have fresh beet leaves indoors in as little as 30 days!
Easy steps for growing Early Wonder Beets indoors through winter:
- Leafy beets grow most productively under full spectrum (6400K) grow lights. We recommend Sunblaster T5 lighting. Grow lights should be maintained 6 - 12” above plant tops and should be on 16 - 18 hours per day.
- During the months where daylight-hours are low beets require full-spectrum lights to grow productively.
- Leafy beets grow very well in shallow containers with drainage. We often use 11 x 11” or 10 x 20” trays. Other ideas include recycled clam shells from store-bought greens or recycled flower pots.
- For completely easy baby greens use a composty soil. We use an organic potting mix blended with Sea Soil compost at a 60 / 40 ratio. By building in high-quality compost you can avoid any need for additional fertilizing.
- Beets take 3 - 5 days to germinate. The ideal temperature for germination is 10 - 21º C; bottom heat will speed up germination and encourage faster seedling development. In general, beets thrive where air temperatures are cool to mildly warm; combining mild bottom heat and cool air temperatures is a perfect combo for robust beets.
- Wet your soil medium before sowing then sprinkle seeds onto soil surface at approximately 75 - 90 seeds per 11 x 11” tray. Press seeds gently into soil surface and spritz (or carefully water) to fully moisten.
- Check on seeds every few days to notice when they are starting to germinate. Maintain soil moisture without allowing the mix to be soggy.
- Beets will grow as a baby green for approximately six weeks before a new crop needs to take over. Sow new trays every 2 - 4 weeks to keep a constant supply.
- Great air circulation around your indoor garden makes everything better! If you are growing lots of plants indoors consider adding a small fan to your set-up.
- If using humidity domes over your trays: be sure to leave these off for at least one hour per day to allow for air circulation.
- Pests rarely occur on baby greens but it is a good idea to clean pots/trays with warm soapy water (or 10% bleach solution) between crops and generally keep your growing area tidy.
- Crops that are grown to larger than baby green size will likely require fertilizing for best productivity; we recommend Evolve Organic All-Purpose Fertilizer for our indoor gardens.
- Harvest leafy greens by up to 50% with each cut.
- Use sharp scissors to cut your greens - this helps plants regrow more quickly after harvest.
- The beauty of growing your own baby greens is that you can harvest just what you need when you need it!