Organic Bean, Gold Rush - 50 seeds
Online ordering for this item will be back shortly. Please check back.
Pack Size: ~ 50 seeds. Yummm, this will grow a really amazing number of beans!
Description: Organic seeds for growing baby greens indoors through winter. This variety is 'Gold Rush', a tasty yellow wax bean ideal for indoors.
Beans are an awesome indoor crop to try out this winter! Bushy growth habit makes this variety easier to grow and harvest indoors.
Easy steps for growing arugula greens indoors through winter:
- Beans most productively under full spectrum (6400K) grow lights. We recommend Sunblaster T5 lighting. Grow lights should be maintained 6 - 12” above plant tops and should be on 16 - 18 hours per day.
- During the months where daylight-hours are low beans must be grown under full-spectrum lights in order to produce.
- Indoor beans grow very well in 15 cm (6") containers with drainage or longer trough-style containers with drainage.
- Use a composty indoor soil. We use an organic potting mix blended with Sea Soil compost at a 60 / 40 ratio. By building in high-quality compost you can avoid any need for additional fertilizing.
- Beans take 2 - 5 days to germinate. The ideal temperature for germination is 21º C; bottom heat will speed up germination and encourage faster seedling development. In general, beans thrive where air temperatures are warm.
- Wet your soil medium before sowing then poke seeds into soil to a depth of about 1.5 cm. Sow approximately 6 seeds in a 15 cm (6") pot.
- Check on seeds every few days to notice when they are starting to germinate. Maintain soil moisture without allowing the mix to be soggy.
- Beans do not require special care or attention to be fertilized indoors.
- Beans will grow indoors under lights for approximately six to ten weeks before a new crop needs to take over. Sow new trays every 4 weeks to keep a constant supply.
- Great air circulation around your indoor garden makes everything better! If you are growing lots of plants indoors consider adding a small fan to your set-up.
- If using humidity domes over your trays: be sure to leave these off for at least one hour per day to allow for air circulation.
- Pests rarely occur on indoor greens but it is a good idea to clean pots/trays with warm soapy water (or 10% bleach solution) between crops and generally keep your growing area tidy. Beans do attract spider mites, so always start with clean pots.
- Crops that are grown to larger than baby green size will likely require fertilizing for best productivity; we recommend Evolve Organic All-Purpose Fertilizer for our indoor gardens.
- The more you harvest the more you will get new beans.
- The beauty of growing your own baby greens is that you can harvest just what you need when you need it!