Please note: The drop off period for fall 2016 starts on October 3. We are not able to take in plants before this date. Don't worry... cool nights are beneficial for these plants ahead of wintering in the greenhouse and light frost is not an issue for the types of lavender and rosemary we take in.
We can over winter your Lavender & Rosemary plants! These herbs require a cool yet bright indoor location to thrive during the period from October through April, which is hard to provide in the home setting (dry forced air heating and well insulated homes create the wrong conditions for lavender and rosemary). By contrast, we can offer winter temperatures between 5 and 10 degrees Celsius in the bright greenhouse, which sets up spring blooming on lavender plants and allows rosemary to grow into its full glory.
What we will do:
- Water and feed your plants during the 7 month period from October to early-May
- Maintain your plants under ideal temperatures in our heated greenhouses
- Perform light pruning and maintenance on your plants (trim up to 25 stems, tidy up soil; additional pruning/maintenance can be offered for a fee)
- Top dress all pots with Sea Soil compost in fall and add organic slow release fertilizer spikes that cover feeding for the winter into early spring
- Harden-off your plants in early May, to ensure they can transition outdoors in tune with the season (hardening off period is weather related, and often impacts pick-up dates)
This service has been very popular the last 6 years, and many of the plants we originally took in are now BIG! As a result we have to put a limit on the number of plants we accept, so as to ensure we have the proper space available for wintering. Once we reach our capacity, we will not be able to accept additional plants. There is a two plant per customer maximum for this service.
To help make the wintering service the best it can be we have updated some of our guidelines. Thanks for taking the time to review this information before bringing plants in.
Drop off time is between October 3 and 21, 2016; with all of the nice fall weather we have extended drop-off time to October 31!
Pick up time is estimated to be end of May 2017 but is dependent on weather conditions for hardening off the plants. Plants should all be picked-up by June 1, 2017
- Plants must be disease-free and in healthy condition
- All plants must be in containers with functioning drainage holes (glazed ceramic pots and self watering pots are not ideal, as these hold too much moisture for lavender and rosemary plants; we reserve the right to decline certain containers)
- Plants that are root bound will require repotting before we accept them for wintering
- Plants cannot be potted in garden soil (this is too heavy and poorly drained)
- Plants dug from the garden require at least 1 week of settling into their new container before we can accept them for wintering
- Fernleaf and Fringed Lavender are all warm climate varieties that are much better suited as houseplants. We do not accept these types for wintering.
Pricing is based on the size of the plant, as measured across the top of the plant (formerly based on container size). The minimum sized plant we can accept is 8" across the top. We are unable to extend our replacement guarantee to plants larger than 16" across the top.
8" to 12" across top - $22.00 (= $3.14 per month of care!)
13" to 16" across top - $32.00 (= $4.57 per month care!)
17" to 24" across top - $42.00 (= $6 per month care!)
Larger than 24" across the top - $55 (= $7.85 per month of care!)
Sage Garden Member discount DOES APPLY to our wintering service prices