The drop off period for fall 2018 starts on October 3. Don't worry... cool nights are beneficial for lavender and rosemary ahead of wintering in the greenhouse and light frost is not an issue for the types of lavender and rosemary we take in.
Some important information about our wintering service: over the years we have wintered hundreds of beautiful lavender and rosemary plants for our customers. The success of this service and the larger size of more mature plants has meant that an increasing amount of space is required to house the pots. As a result, it has become challenging to keep all of the plants that come to visit. In order to continue to offer this service, we made some changes in 2017; our 2018 service is operating under the same guidelines. We are accepting plants previously wintered at Sage, but will not be able to accept new ones. In addition, we will be able to take a maximum of two plants per customer. We have also noticed that certain types of containers and soils result in poor wintering; glazed pots, pots without drainage and garden soil all contribute to poor outcomes - please ensure plants arrive at Sage in unglazed, well drained pots and light potting mix (we will not be able to accept the plants otherwise). Last but not least, plants that come to Sage must be settled into their containers, and not recently dug from the garden. Thank you for helping us with this check-list.
What we will do:
- Water and feed your plants during the 7 month period from October to May
- Maintain your plants under ideal temperatures in our heated greenhouses
- Perform light pruning and maintenance on your plants (trim up to 25 stems, tidy up soil; additional pruning/maintenance can be offered for a fee)
- Top dress all pots with Sea Soil compost in fall and add organic slow release fertilizer spikes that cover feeding for the winter into early spring
- Harden-off your plants in early May, to ensure they can transition outdoors in tune with the season (hardening off period is weather related, and often impacts pick-up dates)
This service has been very popular, and many of the plants we originally took in are now BIG! As a result we have to put a limit on the number of plants we accept, so as to ensure we have the proper space available for wintering. Once we reach our capacity, we will not be able to accept additional plants. There is a two plant per customer maximum for this service.
To help make the wintering service the best it can be we have updated some of our guidelines. Thanks for taking the time to review this information before bringing plants in.
Drop off time is between October 3 and 23, 2018
Pick up time is estimated to be end of May 2019 but is dependent on weather conditions for hardening off the plants.
- Plants must be disease-free and in healthy condition
- All plants must be in containers with functioning drainage holes (glazed ceramic pots and self watering pots are not ideal, as these hold too much moisture for lavender and rosemary plants; we reserve the right to decline certain containers)
- Plants that are root bound will require repotting before we accept them for wintering
- Plants cannot be potted in garden soil (this is too heavy and poorly drained)
- Plants dug from the garden require at least 1 week of settling into their new container before we can accept them for wintering
- Fernleaf and Fringed Lavender are all warm climate varieties that are much better suited as houseplants. We do not accept these types for wintering.
Pricing is based on the size of the plant, as measured across the top of the plant (formerly based on container size). The minimum sized plant we can accept is 12" across the top. We are unable to extend our replacement guarantee to plants larger than 18" across the top (should plants larger than 18" do poorly in wintering, we will offer customers a credit for the full value of the wintering fee)
12" across top - $30.00 (= just $4.28 per month of care!)
14" to 18" across top - $40.00 (= just $5.71 per month of care!)
19" to 24" across top - $50.00 (= just $7.14 per month of care!)
25" to 30" across top - $62.00 (= just $8.85 per month of care!)
Larger than 31" across the top - $80 (= just $11.43 per month of care!)
Sage Garden Member discount DOES APPLY to our wintering service prices
Want to winter some plants at home? Check out Dave's 5 tips for wintering rosemary (same tips apply to lavender!), here.